Thursday, April 23, 2009

Great Article

This article was posted by someone at the Diaper Jungle, a forum that focuses on cloth diapering and parenting. I think it is a great piece. As a new mom, I am definitely trying to do my best to raise a healthy and happy son. At times though, things can get overwhelming...clothes to fold, diapers to wash, dishes to wash, baby to wash, spit up to wipe, and so on. However, as this article reminds us, without the extra work that children require, we would also not have the blessings that they bring us. Enjoy!

FROM THE NEWSLETTER @ TEACH MAGAZINE http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001jYqn93s1IRBpEjsX5YFIOw%3D%3D I'm a mom like you; I get behind in my housework, wonder what is for dinner tonight when I am the one who is supposed to know, don't want to do what I am supposed to do, and sometimes wonder if public school might be a better option than me. In Proverbs 14:4, you will find a pivotal verse on attitudes, and this verse always makes me smile.

This verse is one I am sure God included for moms who get worn out and wonder how they are going to keep going: "Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty, but from the strength of an ox comes an abundant harvest."

Or, as the poetic King James Version puts it:

"Where no oxen are, the crib is clean."

So, when we are frustrated and think, "I have taught them a million times to put their dirty dishes in the dishwasher," or "What in the world is he doing with every piece of my silverware in the bedroom? I shouldn't even have to tell him ..." So, when we think like this God is saying, "Chin up, Honey. If you didn't have any children you wouldn't have any mess."

He is reminding us that without oxen there is no manure and I guess you could say the same about children and dirty diapers. We don't want to complain about our blessings. The messes are a result and a part of the blessing!

Have you been thinking negative thoughts, complaining about things that aren't working, things that are hurting, things that need fixing, problems that need solving, or jobs that need doing? Maybe you've forgotten that the reason you've got a problem is because you've got a gift from God!

You've been given blessings, opportunities, years, people who love you, people who look to you, people who need you, and you've been given work to do.

On days when my list of problems and pressures is multiplying, I need to read Psalm 16:5-6 to help me restore my "big picture" perspective.

"Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."

You decide where you want to focus and what you're going to let determine your attitude. You can complain about the manure or you can be glad you've got an ox. You can gripe about the glitches or you can give thanks for the gifts. You can be negative because there's a mess or you can be positive because that mess is the result of progress. And, as any highway construction people know, you can't have progress without having a mess.

Where's your attitude coming from right now? Is it coming from your load or your Lord? Your burdens or your blessings? The mess from the wrapping paper or the gift from God that was wrapped in it? Take a step back. Look past the garbage that's right in front of you and look at the goodness of God that's all around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment